The Heavyweight Champion of Black Doctoral Degree Awards

According to data collected by the National Science Foundation, Walden University, the online educational institution headquartered in Minneapolis, has become the largest producer of African American doctoral degree recipients. And it is not even close.

The data shows that African Americans were awarded 682 doctoral degrees by Walden University from 2011 through 2015. This is almost double the number of doctoral degrees awarded by Howard University, a historically black university in Washington, D.C., which ranks in second place. Walden University’s doctoral degree awards to Blacks over the 2011 to 2015 period are six times the number of doctoral degrees awarded by such large state institutions as the University of Illinois and Michigan State University.

The National Science Foundation data shows that about one third of all doctoral degrees awarded by Walden University went to African Americans. Nearly 12 percent of all doctorates awarded to Blacks in the United States in 2015 were from Walden University. The number of Blacks earning doctoral degrees from Walden University more than tripled between 2010 and 2015.

Related:

Comments (7)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Sandra Bever says:

So proud to work for this university and to get to mentor doctoral students. Our students are committed to our mission of effecting positive social change–one doctoral degree at a time!

2. Chiquita T. Tuttle, PhD says:

Proud to be a graduate receiving my PhD in Health Services Administration with a concentration in Public Health Policy.

3. Sheila says:

I got the best education from Walden University and I am the proud holder of a DBA from there. Never worked so hard in my whole life. I really earned my doctorate. The program changed me. I think differently. I am more analytical. I can research anything in no time. Opportunities are opening for me everywhere

4. Dr. Valencia Wiggins says:

I am grateful for the quality education I received at Walden University!

5. Marie Nadine Pierre says:

Jah love. I think that Walden University’s great record of awarding large numbers of doctorates to Black students is indication that we may be victims of discrimination when professors and administrators have to deal with us face to face. And, I hope and pray that Walden develops Ph.D. programs in Social Science and Arts/Humanities fields soon. Blessed love.

6. STEPHEN PAUL DELSOL says:

We desperately want to know what effective strategies Walden University is using to attract, retain and graduate so many African American students relative to other universities, so we can increase their PhD graduation rates elsewhere. I fear that Walden University may not wish to share their commercial secrets and hence retain their competitive advantage.

7. academics says:

I would love to see the job placement rates of these Walden black PhDs. Online for-profit colleges carry less weight when it comes to prestige and name recognition which matters in most circles in academia and corporate america.

Due to incidents of abuse and harassment that have occurred in the past, JBHE will not publish telephone numbers or email addresses of individuals in this space. If you want to contact someone in a particular article, we suggest you contact them directly not in an open forum.