Notice of Vacancy
Retention and Advising Specialist
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT, SALARIED
This position is responsible for providing retention support services, organizing tutorial services, participating in campus-wide outreach activities and fostering the academic success of the students at Lake Erie College. The retention and advising specialist must be responsive to the needs of a large number of highly diverse students and be prepared to work in a high-volume and fast-paced environment. The person in this position must be able to relate well to the needs of underrepresented populations and at-risk students.
- Primarily responsible for providing advising support for conditional admits and probationary students.
- Maintains student advising records, tracking of student progress.
- Coordinates academic development workshops for students, e.g., study skills and intervention support.
- Coordinates tutorial and retention support services.
- Assists students with program planning, general course selection and provides guidance to other academic support units.
- Collaborates with Admissions, Financial Aid, the Bursar’s Office, Student Life and Athletics to support student academic success.
- Assists with new student orientation programs and campus visit days.
- Serves as an information resource for students, faculty and staff regarding College policies and procedures relative to academic advising.
- Assists faculty with academic advising procedures and implementation.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of advising-related College publications and materials.
- Other duties as assigned by VPAA.
- Master’s degree in higher education, counseling or related field.
- Knowledge of developmental education practices in higher education.
- Background in contemporary academic advising and intervention practices.
- A clear record of learning support service retention and achievement results.
- Knowledge of retention services, developmental education and specialized academic programming for a variety of populations.
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references to: email@example.com (preferred method for applications) or Retention and Advising Specialist Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. Learn more at https://www.lec.edu. EOE