University of Massachusetts Amherst — Assistant Director of Admissions
Filed in Administrative on March 9, 2017
The Assistant Director of Admissions is an integral member of the department’s professional staff, which is charged with recruiting, selecting, and enrolling the undergraduate first-year class. The Assistant Director acts as one of several readers for freshman applications and serves in a public relations/informational role with prospective applicants and their parents and with high school guidance counselors. Travel to specific, assigned regions for presenting informational programs and attending college fairs is required. The Assistant Director manages a specific territory, develops collegial relationships with school personnel, identifies and recruits applicants, and manages, evaluates, and implements outreach and recruitment programs.
- Bachelor’s degree at time of hire.
- 1 year of admission experience as a student or a professional.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the undergraduate experience at a major research university.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with high school students, their families and college counselors in a variety of settings, to speak and write clearly and persuasively and to interact with people from diverse backgrounds. Must be sensitive to multicultural and socioeconomic issues.
- Willingness and ability to travel a minimum of 4-6 weeks per year, and the flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as needed.
- Ability to read and analyze applications, high school transcripts, recommendations, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, to prioritize, and to achieve goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Valid driver’s license and proof of insurability plus the ability to obtain a university credit card.
- Previous experience with student information systems (preferably PeopleSoft).
- Bilingual ability.
Hiring Salary Range: $38,000-$47,600 Normal Starting Salary Range: $38,000-$42,800
PROFESSIONAL STAFF SALARY ADMINISTRATION PROGRAM POSITION LEVEL: 25
Submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin on March 31, 2017, and may continue until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
Please apply online at:
On-campus applicants are defined as Amherst campus non-student employees.
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.