Carroll University — Human Resources Assistant
Filed in Administrative on March 1, 2017
Support Staff- Full-Time – 12 months – 40 hours per week
Associate Director/ Sr. HR Business Partner
The Human Resources Assistant performs a full range of confidential and administrative support to the department. The maintenance of employee files, assists with the recruitment and onboarding process, preparation of pay data and reports, provides customer service to University employees, students and the public.
- Greets the public, answer telephones, receive, and refer University employees and visitors, and give general information concerning the department and/or the University.
- Input and update system data and provide general office and clerical support to the department.
- Serves as a liaison for the hiring manager and/or Chair of the search committee facilitating all aspects of the pre-employment process to include the initial intake, background and reference check, benefit reviews ensuring receipt of appropriate approvals.
- Create records, maintain and audit data in the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) to include creating reports for analysis and to ensure consistency and accuracy of data.
- Maintain department calendar and University department/website page.
- Sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing department mail to include the department email.
- Communicate notices and announcements to University personnel through the department email.
- Assist Employment and Benefits Coordinator’s with student workers/interns to include monitoring aid, hours and evaluations as needed.
- Process information for separated employees in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assists employees and supervisors with basic interpretation of HR policies and procedures
- Assists with new employee orientations.
- Completes Forms I-9, verifies I-9 documentation, and maintains I-9 files; submits online investigation requests and assists with new-employee background checks.
- Creates and maintains confidential employee files and personnel action documents.
- Responds to internal and/or external employment requests for information, reference checks and verifications of employment status for current and former employees.
- Manage the planning of department events and projects.
- Maintain and verify accuracy of letters, lists and brochures and HR kits.
- Assists with benefits administration to include enrollment, changes and COBRA notices.
- Maintains University organizational charts and employee information to ensure Cbook, online directories and University departmental pages are current.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Critical Evaluation
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
Education and Experience
- Associates degree minimum; Bachelor’s degree preferred in Human Resources or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ of HR work experience. Must have worked in a Human Resources department at least 1 of the 2 years.
- Prior experience in higher education environment preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and HRIS software.
Human Relations Skills:
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality is essential.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Client focused sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Ability to listen effectively, work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Candidates must be willing and able to support and advance the University mission.