Carroll University — Employment and Benefits Coordinator
Filed in Administrative on March 1, 2017
Administrative Staff- Full Time – 12 months – 2080 annual hours
Associate Director of HR/Sr. HR Business Partner
The Employment and Benefits Coordinator is responsible for administration of employee benefits in all University operations. This position analyzes and recommends new or modified plans to the Director of Human Resources and AD/Sr. HR Business Partner and administers existing plans. This position also manages and tracks recruitment positions, applicants, and recruitment related metrics.
- Administers employee benefits programs such as retirement plans; insurance plans, tuition, relocation, cell, temporary disability programs; and wellness programs.
- Evaluates and compares existing University benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information.
- Plans, develops, and/or participates in area and industry surveys.
- Develops specifications for new plans or modifies existing plans to maintain University’s competitive position in labor market.
- Recommends classes of eligible employees for new or modified plans; develops census data and solicits insurance companies for quotations; evaluates quotations and makes recommendations to management; develops University cost information for new plans and makes premium cost share recommendations to management.
- Installs approved new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents, and other media for communicating plans to employees.
- Prepares and executes benefits documentation with legal consultation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefits agreements, and insurance policies.
- Administer COBRA program. Keep abreast of current COBRA and HIPAA regulations to ensure compliance.
- Assures University compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Leads the preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies; reviews and analyzes changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and reports necessary or suggested changes to management.
- Develops benefits information and statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers, and management.
- Supervises maintenance of enrollment and claims records for all benefits plans. Point of contact for the Business Office to reconcile and prepare documents for audit and 5500 filings.
- Supports recruitment efforts of staff and faculty by conducting and Facilitating phone screens, reference check, interviews and background checks of potential applicants including benefit reviews.
- Prepare onboarding communication including PRFs, PARs and promotional/change letters for current employees, and send out respective communication ensuring appropriate approvals are received during the hiring process.
- Conduct individual position analysis (salary/exemption status and measurable language) and make recommendations to hiring manager to ensure compliance with internal/external policies/laws.
- Create and maintain job descriptions; creates and maintains HR templates.
- Assists with recruitment and interview process, tracks status of candidates in HRIS, and responds with follow-up letters at the end of the recruiting process.
- Schedules meetings and interviews as requested.
- Conducts new-employee orientations.
- Assist in the planning and execution of on-campus employee events to include annual benefit fair, employee luncheons and wellness fair.
- Supervise department student workers and or interns.
- Other duties as assigned
- Business Acumen
- Critical Evaluation
- HR Expertise
- Leadership and Navigation
- Relationship Management
- Ethical Practice
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3 plus years’ of progressively responsible, related human resources experience.
- Innovative aptitude, problem-solving skills and excellent judgment.
- Maintained and created a workflow and process in order to track multiple steps in a process and enable the most efficient execution of the process.
- Demonstrated results and goal-oriented individual utilizing a balance of persistence and patience to work effectively with a variety of internal and external constituents.
- General knowledge of all human resource functions (benefits, recruitment, onboarding, compensation, employee relations, policy development and performance appraisal) as well as applicable laws.
- Prior experience in higher education environment preferred.
- Proficiency with MS office, database management, particularly MS Excel, to be able to collect, evaluate and report key metrics.
- Proficiency with report writing and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) or Information Technology supporting Human Resources.
Human Relations Skills:
- High degree of personal integrity and ethics with high standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Client focused sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Ability to build strong relationships with leadership, management, faculty and staff through a consultative, collaborative and active-problem solving approach; positioning HR as a credible resource for various constituencies.
- Candidates must be willing and able to support and advance the University mission.