University of Tennessee, Knoxville — Assistant Vice Provost, Enrollment Management & Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Filed in Administrative on February 15, 2017
The Division of Enrollment Management and the Office of the Provost at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, invites applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and Director of Undergraduate Admissions (hereafter AVP).
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville is the state’s flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduates, and a premier graduate institution. Enrolling more than 27,000 students, the campus is located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and beautiful East Tennessee. As a land-grant university, it fulfills its access mission through a commitment to excellence in learning, scholarship, and engagement. The Enrollment Management division is comprised of 140 full-time staff who serve our students through five departments and functions: Undergraduate Admissions, One Stop Express Student Services, Financial Aid and Scholarships, the University Registrar and Strategic Enrollment Reporting and Analysis.
The Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee seeks a dynamic admissions and enrollment leader with the ability to contribute in impactful and meaningful ways to the University’s strategic plan and enrollment goals. The AVP will work alongside the Enrollment Management Team as we aim to transform the way we recruit, serve and retain students. In addition, we seek colleagues that are committed to teamwork and have a passion for working with and serving all students.
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The AVP is responsible for leading a strategic, comprehensive admissions program which includes supervision of the Knoxville based undergraduate admissions team, regionally based staff members located in twelves cities across the US as well as the UT Visitor’s Center in Knoxville. The position has accountability for achieving annual campus enrollment goals as they relate to academic quality and diversity, ensures compliance with all federal, state, and university regulations, and oversees timely and accurate high level service to students and their families throughout the recruitment, admission, and enrollment processes. It is essential the AVP build and maintain collaborative relationships with both campus and external stakeholders. The position also has planning, budgeting, and operational line responsibility and oversees a $3.8 million budget, and provides supervision, direction, and evaluation for a team of 50+ professional and support staff as well as 100+ student ambassadors and staff members.
Reporting directly to the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, the AVP is responsible for executing the undergraduate enrollment plan developed in collaboration with the Vice Provost and approved by the Office of the Provost and executive leadership. The AVP works closely with internal and external constituencies to help create effective recruitment strategies including messages and programs that define, capture and promote the UT experience. The AVP will be responsible for implementing new and innovative strategies and technologies that improve the student experience and aid in achieving overall enrollment goals.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: A master’s degree and a minimum of five years of leadership experience in higher education, preferably in admissions and/or recruiting. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
PREFERRED/DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will also have:
- demonstrated experience in strategic planning and strategy execution, including measurements of effectiveness and success,
- demonstrated abilities in team building, leadership, supervision, management, selection, performance evaluation, conflict resolution, problem solving, within the context of an admissions office,
- ability to think innovatively about admissions work, the changing landscape of higher education, and implement new programs designed to meet current and future needs of students and families,
- proven track-record making data driven decisions to meet enrollment goals, including experience with integrated student information systems and using data for analysis and assessment,
- knowledge of marketing principles, best practices, and techniques relevant to student recruitment,
- experience with recruitment of students from underrepresented and diverse socioeconomic backgrounds,
- experience with recruitment of high ability students,
- knowledge and appreciation of current and innovative technology used in recruitment and application processing,
- experience with budgeting and program development,
- understanding of the importance of building and maintaining open communication with partners at high schools and community colleges,
- exceptional relationship-building skills, and
- excellent oral and written communication skills,
- experience with international recruitment.
Applications should include: (1) a letter of interest addressing the qualifications, (2) Vita, and (3) the names and contact information (addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses) of three to five references.
Please apply online at:
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.