University of La Verne — Assistant Professor of Teacher Education, Tenure Track
Filed in Faculty on February 2, 2017
Job Description Summary:
The University of La Verne’s LaFetra College of Education (LFCE ) is seeking an experienced faculty member to teach in the LFCE Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT ) Program. Candidates must posses a record of service in higher education leadership and scholarship appropriate for a tenure track appointment at the level of assistant professor. Candidates must have demonstrated ability to successfully collaborate with faculty, administrators, school district personnel, and community partners. We seek colleagues whose research focuses on teacher education and advancing issues of diversity, access, and social justice in education and society.
LFCE recognizes the need to develop teachers who can apply research-based approaches to teaching while maintaining the social consciousness to address inequities in current educational structures. The multiple and single subject credential teacher preparation programs address teaching strategies for all students in California schools. Integrated throughout the programs are methodologies to deliver comprehensive instruction to English learners and to work with special populations in the general education classroom. In addition to the multiple and single subject credentials, the Teacher Education Program offers an Enhanced Intern Credential and a California Teachers of English Learners certificate.
Established in 1891, the University of La Verne is an independent, nonprofit, comprehensive, doctoral granting institution in Southern California founded on the university’s core values of leadership, caring, excellence, and diversity. The University is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution with 40% of the student population identifying itself as “Hispanic/Latino,” 55% students of color, 10% international students, and a large proportion first-generation students. All programs have high retention and graduation rates for underrepresented minorities.
The University has a strong commitment to diversity and places a high priority on creating an environment that supports the growth and success of underrepresented and underserved populations, particularly in urban environments. The La Verne Experience is at the center of a strategic plan that is focused on serving an ethnically and economically diverse student population that is representative of the demographics in California. Two prominent annual rankings of America’s Best Colleges – U.S. News and World Report, and Forbes Magazine, recognize the University of La Verne as one of the nation’s top national universities.
Specific duties may include:
- Teach (through face-to-face, online, and hybrid delivery models at the main campus and regional campuses), advise, and mentor students in our MAT Program and other LFCE programs as deemed appropriate.
- Demonstrate scholarly productivity by publishing in peer-reviewed journals and presenting at national conferences.
- Implement the strategic vision and mission of the University and LaFetra College of Education.
- Actively contribute as an integral member of the faculty in the ongoing development, implementation, and assessment of the overall program.
- Serve as program/department/college representative at the College and University level and with community partners.
The successful candidate will have professional experience commensurate with the role of assistant professor as documented by the following:
- An earned doctorate in Education or a related field
- Currency in the field documented by at least 3 years’ experience as a credentialed PK-12 teacher
- A record of scholarly research publications and presentations
- Experience working with and advocating for diverse and underrepresented student populations
- Participation in professional organizations
- Record of commitment to community engagement activities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong leadership capabilities, including a demonstrated commitment to integrity and fairness
- Knowledge of current pedagogy and significant skill in teaching in an online environment.
- Experience in urban and/or rural educational settings is highly desired
- Current knowledge of teacher preparation and related programs in California
- Familiarity with pursuing external funding
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/945582
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation