Brown University — Visual Designer
Filed in Professional on February 22, 2017
Office of University Communications
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
Be a part of Brown University’s growing visual storytelling team. Help transform how the University engages with our community and shares Brown’s excellent reputation with the world.
The Visual Designer in Brown’s Office of University Communications (OUC) will work in cooperation with OUC project and art directors and in consultation with University staff to create attractive, user-centric, innovative designs for integrated, multi-platform use across Brown’s Web, digital and print media, aligned with the overall visual identity and strategic goals of the University.
Reporting to the art director, the Visual Designer will provide excellent creative service and customer support, representing the OUC as a leader and resource in advanced design and communications for the University.
The Visual Designer will apply design fundamentals to conceive the overall concept, design, look, and feel of each project across all related material in print and digital media, consistent with desired project impact, messaging, user experience, and visual identity. The Visual Designer will advise on all components of designed communications projects, including photography, graphic elements, colors, type treatment, Web and digital design and usability, and print finishing techniques and stock.
The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, demonstrate initiative, flexibility, a collaborative nature and accepting of constructive feedback, as well as the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining high quality product and services.
A print and digital portfolio demonstrating professional experience is a prerequisite for the position. A completed application through the Brown University website is required. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of design experience for multi-platform print and digital projects.
- Expertise in design fundamentals.
- Proficiency and experience with Apple OS, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of printing and publication, including prepress and print production processes.
- An understanding of the importance of Web and digital strategies to improve communications.
- Knowledge of usability and user experience (UX/UI) principles and standards preferred.
- Experience with visual identity and branding preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, showing initiative and flexibility, strong creative service, collaborative instincts, and receptive of constructive feedback.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines while maintaining high quality. Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Knowledge of related technologies, such as digital asset and content management tools, and workflow systems, a plus.
- Demonstrated experience through a print and digital portfolio that must be available for review.
To View More Details and To Apply, please use this link to the position on Brown’s Career Site:
Applicants are required to use the Brown Career Site to apply for the position and to submit their resume, cover letter and any related documents. Please check the status of your application through the account you create when you apply.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
About Brown (Please visit our website and get to know us better at: www.brown.edu)
Brown is an Ivy League University located in Providence, Rhode Island, comprised of undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, Executive Master of Healthcare Leadership and the IE Brown Executive MBA. With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional graduate and undergraduate instruction. We have a dynamic campus community with many exciting events, such as visits from world leaders, sporting events, theatre, music, and dance. Brown offers competitive benefits such as a generous retirement plan and education programs; details are available at: http://www.brown.edu/about/administration/human-resources/
Brown is being recognized by the Alliance for Work-Life Progress for success in work-life programs, policies and practices. To earn the Seal of Distinction, Brown had to meet criteria and be assessed in each of the seven categories listed for work-life effectiveness that defines a best-in-class work-life portfolio in today’s workplace.