California State University, San Bernardino — Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Administrator III)
Filed in Administrative on January 27, 2017
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN BERNARDINO
Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Administrator III)
SALARY: Depends on Qualifications
OPENING DATE: 01/24/17
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Full-time, “exempt” position, included in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP).
Monday – Friday from 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. Occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
First Review Deadline:
This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning March 8, 2017.
CSUSB is a preeminent center of intellectual and cultural activity in Inland Southern California. Set at the foothills of the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains, the university serves more than 20,000 students each year and graduates about 4,000 students annually. CSUSB reflects the dynamic diversity of the region and has the most diverse student population of any university in the Inland Empire, and it has the second highest African American and Hispanic enrollments of all public universities in California. Seventy percent of those who graduate are the first in their families to do so. For more information on the campus, please visit the CSUSB website.
All applicants must submit (1) a cover letter, resume (or curricula vitae), (2) three professional references, and (3) a diversity statement. The diversity statement may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, gender equity and must include specific examples of how your educational/professional experiences, background/philosophy has prepared you for the role you are applying for at California State University, San Bernardino (Maximum 250 words).
The Dean reports to the Deputy Provost and serves on the Provost Council and Deans Council. The primary focus of the office is on student success. Undergraduate Studies is composed of the following offices: Advising and Academic Services, Early Assessment Program, Educational Opportunity Program, Faculty/Student Mentoring Program, Graduate Writing Center, Honors Program, Learning Center, Office of Student Retention Projects, SAIL Program (federal TRIO Student Support Services program), Supplemental Instruction, Testing Office, and the Writing Center. The Dean works with the Coyote First Step Program to provide math remediation and English readiness.
The Dean of Undergraduate Studies is responsible for providing leadership in several broadly defined areas including:
- Academic outreach to the K-12 community to enhance college readiness, with support from the Coordinator of the Early Assessment Program.
- Ensuring that CSUSB provides the full array of placement and proficiency tests for potential students and provides leadership for the Early Start Program, a cross¬ divisional effort mandated by the Chancellor’s Office.
- Provides administrative oversight for the Academic Affairs allocation of Student Success Initiative funds. Working in collaboration with Admissions and Student Recruitment as well as the Financial Aid Office, the Dean oversees the President’s Academic Excellence Scholars Program.
- Provides administrative support to the General Education Committee and the Critical Thinking Committee.
- Serves on the Provost’s senior leadership team and provides advice and notice regarding all issues likely to affect the Division of Academic Affairs.
- The Dean analyzes CSU Executive Orders and drafts policy statements for the campus for those Executive Orders that affect the Deans areas of responsibility and works with the Deputy Provost to assure chancellor’s office compliance.
- A terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- A record of at least seven years as an accomplished faculty member and two years as an academic administrator in higher education (preferably as a program director, chair, or associate dean), and eligible to hold a tenured, full-professor faculty appointment at CSUSB.
- Knowledge of issues and trends in student learning, outcomes assessment, retention theory, student success practices, educational policy development, and strategic planning.
- Ability to lead a team of diverse constituents and individuals to foster collaboration and engagement between the campus and the community.
- Ability to analyze complex issues, manage multiple priorities, and respond proactively in addressing academic issues.
- A record of commitment to diversity (i.e., recruitment and retention of diverse faculty, students, and staff; infusion of diversity into the curriculum; promoting a work environment that is inclusive and collegial for all faculty, staff, and students).
- A record of successful involvement in educational equity programs.
- Experience with budget management.
- Experience providing supervision of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with deans, department chairs, and faculty, and to motivate others into action.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be “Designated” under California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407
APPLY NOW: http://www.Click2Apply.net/kz478rcj7d