College of Southern Maryland — Assistant Director of Academic Advisement
Filed in Administrative on January 27, 2017
The Assistant Director of Academic Advisement is the leader of a team of professional academic and career advisors and coordinates the academic advising services at the La Plata campus. The Assistant Director is also primarily responsible for coordinating the technology infrastructure of the unit to include training for advisors and data collection and reporting. Responsibilities include: training and evaluating academic and career advisors and working with students in ascertaining educational goals and assisting in the planning for student attainment of those goals; maintaining the technology infrastructure of the department with assistance from the Department of Information Technology and training of advisors, data collection and reporting and serving as an advising subject matter expert at the college. The Assistant Director will also be responsible for the creation of a Faculty Advising model in conjunction with a case management model of advising for professional advisors.
The work schedule for this position is 40 hours per week, Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Friday – 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Please note: One late evening will be established between Monday and Thursday that will result in a 10:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m. schedule for that day.
When applying for this position, please be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Provide your perspective on the barriers to post-secondary student success and goal completion and recommendations to mitigate those barriers.
- What strategies would you use to ensure staff are deploying a proactive student-centered focus on a consistent basis?
College of Southern Maryland conducts background checks in order to ensure the safety and well-being of the college’s staff and students. The final candidate for this position will be subject to the following background checks: Criminal History Check.
This position is open until filled. The College of Southern Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (Master’s degree preferred)
- Four years experience in academic advising
- Supervision experience required
- Prior experience in a community college preferred
- Prior teaching or training experience preferred
- Experienced in use of integrated data systems
- Knowledge of Colleague, Starfish connect and Ellucian Student Planning Preferred
Please visit our website to get more detailed job information and to apply at www.csmd.edu/employment and complete the online resume submission form. We especially seek individuals who value & support workforce diversity in all its aspects.