The University of Alabama System announces a national search for General Auditor. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership, direction, and administrative oversight for the overall internal audit function of The University of Alabama System (www.uasystem.edu).
The UA System consists of three doctoral research universities – The University of Alabama (www.ua.edu), The University of Alabama at Birmingham (www.uab.edu), and The University of Alabama in Huntsville (www.uah.edu) – and the acclaimed UAB Health System (www.uabmedicine.org). With more than 64,000 students, 37,000 employees, and a $5.5 billion budget, it is Alabama’s largest higher education enterprise.
The General Auditor is the chief audit executive for the System and is responsible for the appointment of internal auditors on the campuses, as well as staffing of the internal audit function, which currently includes 15 professionals. The General Auditor also coordinates the audits of the annual financial reports by external independent auditors (http://uasystem.ua.edu/profile/financial-statements/). The General Auditor reports administratively to UA System Chancellor C. Ray Hayes, but is ultimately responsible through the Audit Committee to the Board of Trustees.
Required candidate qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field, with a master’s preferred
- CPA, CIA, or equivalent certification
- Ten years of relevant experience in public accounting, internal auditing, or governmental accounting, of which at least five years must be in auditing
- Minimum five years of supervisory experience as an audit manager or the equivalent
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills necessary for meetings with Trustees and senior management
- Proven ability to plan, implement, and lead the internal audit function
- Experience with information technology and auditing in a diverse and complex environment
- Ability to provide leadership, direction, and coordination among multiple audit locations
- Skills to work effectively with both internal and external constituents
- Proven track record in anticipating the impact of economic, governmental, and regulatory changes
- Experience with the work product of independent auditors regarding internal control and other matters
Preferred qualifications include:
- Substantial experience with auditing higher education institutions, academic medical centers, and related enterprises
The Search Advisory Committee will begin reviewing candidate materials in November 2016 and will continue until the position is filled. Electronic submissions are required. Nominations, inquiries, and applications (to include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of five references – who will not be contacted without permission) should be submitted, in confidence, to:
Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting Ann Die Hasselmo at Ann.Hasselmo@academic-search.com.
The University of Alabama System is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.