Savannah State University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, seeks an experienced academic administrator to serve as Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and invites applications and nominations. The Dean reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and is the advocate of all of the College’s programs, initiatives, and faculty. In coordination with the Provost and VPAA and the faculty, the Dean defines the academic vision, provides leadership and direction for all aspects of the College’s academic programs, and oversees related academic activities.
Complete information is available in the Search Profile at: http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/SSU-Dean-CLASS1.pdf
The Dean is appointed by the President, with the approval of the Board of Regents. This administrator shall hold faculty rank as Professor and may be tenured in accord with policies of the Board of Regents and the University.
As the senior administrative officer of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS), the Dean is responsible for all functions and matters relating to academic programs and their support services within the College. The Dean directs the work of the faculty and administrative staff in the College and serves as the leader for productive change in supporting the educational initiatives of the University.
In cooperation with other deans, CLASS chairs, university administrators, and directors, and faculty, the Dean is responsible for the planning, budgeting, and scheduling of the College in providing the best education possible for students. This leader presides over all regular and called meetings of the faculty of the CLASS.
The Dean supervises the curricula, courses, and methods of instruction and works with faculty for improvement. The administrator implements the purposes of the College consistent with those of the University and the policies of the Board of Regents.
Principal functions include:
- Recommend the appointment, salary, promotion, tenure and dismissal of faculty members after consultation with appropriate unit/department heads.
- Serve as the medium of communication for all official business of the College with University officers, faculty, students and the community.
- Recommend the appointment, salary, promotion, and dismissal of staff in the dean’s office; supervise and evaluate staff.
- Exercise general supervision over the work and conduct of faculty, staff, and the students of CLASS.
- Coordinate the curricula, courses, and methods of instruction and work cooperatively with the faculty to establish and implement processes that ensure effective instruction.
- Present to the New Programs and Curriculum Committee (NPCC) those actions of the faculty that require consultation or approval.
- Empower faculty and provide support so faculty may perform consistent with the university mission.
- Administer and coordinate the program of academic advisement and semester scheduling of course offerings.
- Nominate candidates for degrees and other awards.
- Develop, in consultation with the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, an annual budget for the College.
- Serve as a liaison to the other administrative units of the College to promote College-wide endeavors.
- Coordinate and manage the activities of the College’s advisory council(s), committees, and boards, provide to the President and Vice President for University Advancement an accounting of all funds raised, and prepare, in consultation with chairs and faculty, an annual report for the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs that describes the work of the College.
An earned doctorate in one of the College’s disciplines or a closely related discipline from an accredited college or university is required.
Other requirements include:
- A minimum of 10 years of full-time teaching experience with at least 5 years of academic administration experience
- A proven record of 5 or more years of college teaching experience sufficient to be appointed to a senior faculty rank
- Demonstrated strengths in strategic planning, leadership, budgeting, and management
- Organizational skills to promote collaboration and teamwork within the College and throughout the campus
- Evidence of effective interpersonal and presentation skills
- Sensitivity to and understanding of academic, socio-economic, cultural, disabilities, and ethnic backgrounds of a diverse student body
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain academic programming, quality curricula development, and effective judicial process
- Ability to maintain the highest levels of integrity at all times
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences is the largest college of the University and is housed in a new state-of-the-art facility. With a diverse offering of programs, the College provides the largest number of core courses for undergraduates across the University.
The College has six departments:
- English, Languages, and Cultures
- Fine Arts, Humanities, and Wellness
- Journalism and Mass Communications
- Political Science and Public Affairs
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Social Work
Leading to a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies, or Bachelor of Social Work degree, the College offers majors in English Language and Literature, Mass Communications (with concentrations in Print Journalism, Public Relations and Advertising, Radio and Television), Behavior Analysis, History, Criminal Justice, Social Work, Sociology, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Political Science (with concentrations in Pre-Law, Public Administration, and International and Comparative Politics), Africana Studies, and Visual and Performing Arts.
Additionally, the College has three graduate programs: Master of Public Administration, Master of Social Work, and Master of Science in Urban Studies and Planning.
The programs in Social Work, Journalism and Mass Communications, and Public Administration are professionally accredited.
Savannah State University
Founded in 1890, Savannah State University holds the distinction as the oldest public historically black university in Georgia. While meeting the educational needs of an increasingly diverse student population today, Savannah State serves the community and region with distinction. The University provides a comprehensive higher education experience for the academic, personal, social, and cultural growth of its students.
The University’s mission and educational goals are realized through comprehensive program offerings in the College of Business Administration, the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, the College of Sciences and Technology, and the School of Teacher Education that lead to 30 baccalaureate majors and degrees and six graduate degrees. The University has several new programs in the high-need professional fields, such as the STEM disciplines (sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics).
The University aggressively seeks funds from federal sources, including NIH and NSF research and program development grants. Presently, the university has approximately $43.7 million approved external funding for multiple years (2015-2020). These grants support curriculum enhancement, faculty and student research, student scholarships, presentations at conferences and other scholarly activity.
Each year more than 173 students receive approximately $836,000 in grant-funded scholarships to conduct research at SSU and national and international research laboratories.
Savannah State’s 4,900 students are provided a supportive yet challenging learning environment with opportunities to establish close student-faculty relationships and relevant social/professional networks. In addition to its academic support programs and extracurricular activities, the University has exhibits, performances, sport teams, concerts, and community volunteer service projects geared to improving relationships with neighborhoods in the greater Savannah area.
Savannah State competes in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. The University fields teams in Men’s football, basketball, baseball, cross county, indoor/outdoor track and field, and golf, and in Women’s basketball, softball, tennis, cross country, indoor/outdoor track and field, volleyball, and golf.
The University is located on a beautiful 201-acre tract adjacent to a salt-marsh estuary. Resplendent with moss-laden oak trees, expansive marsh, and historic architecture, Savannah State is considered one of the most picturesque campuses in the state of Georgia.
Savannah State University is located in Savannah, Georgia, a historic city with a revered past, a vibrant present, and an exciting future. Known as one of the “World’s 30 Friendliest Cities” by Condé Nast Traveler readers, this coastal town has a world-class reputation for hospitality and grace.
With nearly 300,000 area residents, Savannah has maintained steady growth, with the economy based mainly on ports, manufacturing, tourism, and the military. The city offers a high quality of life and a family-friendly lifestyle.
Applications & Nominations
Confidential inquiries are welcomed; nominations are invited.
Application packet must include:
a) A letter of interest
b) Current curriculum vitae
c) At least five references with full contact information (references will not be contacted without consent from applicants)
d) Your answers to the required questions at www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/MMQuestions.pdf
Submit application packet to: SSU-Dean@myersmcrae.com
For best consideration, submit materials by November 9, 2016. Review of applications is underway.
Submit nominations to the SSU-Nominate@myersmcrae.com. Nominations should include full contact information of the individual being nominated.
Emily Parker Myers, Chief Executive Officer, and Bobby Pope, Vice President, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting are assisting Savannah State University with this search.
Savannah State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200
Macon, Georgia 31201