A monument honoring Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederate States of America, was removed from the campus of Texas State University in San Marcos.
The granite monument to Davis was erected 85 years ago in 1931 on land adjacent to a federal highway. The university acquired the land at a later date but the state Department of Transportation continued to hold the right-of-way for the parcel where the monument was placed.
The monument was relocated seven miles away on land that was donated to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. A university spokesperson told the Texas Observer, “It is not an appropriate monument for a modern Texas university.”
African Americans make up about 9 percent of the more than 33,000 undergraduate students at Texas State University.