University of Denver — Assistant Professor of Theatre (Lighting & Scenic Designer)
Filed in Faculty on October 6, 2016
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF THEATRE, TENURE-TRACK
LIGHTING & SCENIC DESIGNER / PROFESSIONAL PRACTITIONER
UNIVERSITY OF DENVER
ANTICIPATED START DATE: SEPTEMBER 1, 2017
Join a dynamic, growing department dedicated to comprehensive undergraduate theatre training via a program of study (BA in Theatre) defined by its commitment to breadth of understanding, hands-on experience, and demonstrated excellence in Acting, Directing, Design, Playwriting, Dramaturgy, History, Literature, and Management (www.du.edu/theatre).
Duties & responsibilities:
- Teaching responsibilities to include departmental courses in Lighting Design, Scenic Design, Page to Stage, Junior Seminar, Senior Practicum, Production Performance Studio, Theatre Topics, and may include courses in other design areas (such as projections or video design), Dramatic Literature, Theory/Criticism, and other subjects, depending on experience, interest, and ability; also to include active mentoring and consultation for senior capstone productions and independent projects; and also may include First-Year Seminar and/or Advanced Seminar offerings within the division of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- Production program responsibilities to include designing two or more productions each year.
- Creative/Research expectations to include active pursuit of professional theatre work and/or scholarly research, depending on experience and professional focus.
- Service responsibilities to include participation on departmental, divisional, and university committees; participation in departmental curriculum development and revision, in annual selection of production season, in student and departmental assessment, and in student recruitment, retention, and academic advising.
- Management responsibilities include consultation with Chair in production budget development, and collaboration with Technical Director/Production Manager in modeling best practices for design/build process.
- MFA in Lighting Design, Scenic Design, or Scenography
- Professional theatre design experience
- Significant teaching experience in academic/training environment
- Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate theatre education
- Demonstrated commitment to professional standards, mentoring, and collaboration
Demonstrated commitment to and experience in promoting Inclusive Excellence
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills and ability to work well with students, faculty, staff and community
- Demonstrated track record of success in the design field in professional theatre
- Membership in United Scenic Artists
- Demonstrated expertise in teaching a secondary design focus (such as projections, properties, video design) as well as non-design courses such as Dramatic Literature, Theory/Criticism, Management
- Preference will be given for candidates who have demonstrated experience working in or with culturally and racially diverse environments
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. The committee will begin evaluating applications January 6, 2017. If you have questions regarding this position please contact: Jennifer Forsyth at Jennifer.Forsyth@du.edu.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Letter of interest
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Evidence of commitment to inclusive excellence
- Any additional supplemental materials that may be appropriate
- Three letters of reference. Referrers should send letters electronically to Jennifer Forsyth at jennifer.Forsyth@du.edu, or by mail to:
Department of Theatre
1903 East Iliff Avenue
Denver, CO 80208
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.