Minnesota State — President, Century College
Filed in Administrative on September 8, 2016
Century College inspires, prepares and empowers students to succeed in a changing world.
To be a national leader in transforming lives through an innovative, rigorous and compassionate approach to education.
The Century College community values:
- Inspiring learning
- Broadening perspectives
- Pursuing excellence
- Responding to community needs
- Achieving goals
- Transforming lives
- Celebrating achievement
Minnesota State invites applications and nominations for president of Century College.
Century College seeks a visionary leader to work with college students, staff, faculty, and the community to advance its mission of inspiring, preparing, and empowering students to succeed in a changing world.
Century College is one of the largest two-year community and technical colleges in Minnesota, serving approximately 21,000 credit and non-credit students each year.
The college offers a variety of degrees, diplomas, certificates, and courses in the areas of general education and transfer, business, human services, health sciences, technology, engineering, applied design, and industrial trades.
The Continuing Education and Customized Training department offers non-credit workforce training and development in the areas of business, healthcare, computers, transportation, trades and industry, and personal enrichment.
Dedicated to student success, Century College is the only Minnesota two-year college participating in the national “Achieving the Dream” initiative, and was recently designated “Leader College” status based on promising data regarding student success initiatives and a reduction of the achievement gap.
Century College has two campuses, West Campus and East Campus, connected by a half-mile pedestrian bridge. The West Campus is located in White Bear Lake, MN (pop. 24,555) and the East Campus is located in Mahtomedi, MN (pop. 8,013). A third facility, Transportation Training Center, is located in Afton, MN.
Century College is a member of the Minnesota State system (Minnesota State). With 24 community and technical colleges and seven state universities, Minnesota State is the largest provider of higher education in the state of Minnesota. Under the leadership of Chancellor Steven Rosenstone, Minnesota State is committed to ensuring access to an extraordinary education for all Minnesotans; being the partner of choice to meet Minnesota’s workforce and community needs; and delivering to students, employers, communities, and taxpayers the highest value, most affordable higher education option.
Reporting to the chancellor, the president of Century College serves as chief executive officer responsible for leading the faculty and staff in fulfilling the college’s mission. The president serves on the system’s Leadership Council, which consists of the chancellor, the chancellor’s cabinet, and the 30 college and university presidents. As a member of the Leadership Council, the president contributes to the overall direction of the nation’s fifth-largest system of higher education.
Qualifications and Characteristics
The successful candidate will demonstrate most, if not all, of these qualifications:
- Strong leadership skills necessary to provide vision and direction to the college, the community, and the Minnesota State system
- Strong proponent of the community and technical college mission
- Champion of student success
- Demonstrated experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Progressively responsible experience in higher education administration or in other complex organizations
- An appropriate combination of experience in program and curriculum development, fundraising, governmental relations, accreditation processes, and budget and fiscal management
- Experience in a collective bargaining environment
- Experience and leadership in shared governance
- Experience partnering with K-12 and baccalaureate institutions
- Experience building relationships and partnerships with business, education, and other community organizations
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other Minnesota State colleges, and to identify effective strategies for leveraging collective strengths, resources, and employee expertise
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and encourage creative thinking
- A collegial and collaborative management style that is authentic, transparent, and respectful
- A visible, engaged, and accessible presence with students, alumni, community leaders, and friends of the college
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills effective with a broad range of audiences
- An earned Doctorate or terminal degree is preferred but not required
Inquiries, Nominations and Applications
Greenwood/Asher, an executive search firm, is assisting Minnesota State and Century College in the search. Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Nominations should include the name, position, address, and telephone number of the nominee.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, FL 32550
Victoria DeFord, M.A., SPHR
Human Resources Director, System Office & Executive Search Manager
Preferred date for maximum consideration is November 18, 2016
- To learn more about Minnesota State, please visit www.mnscu.edu
To learn more about Century College, please visit www.century.edu
APPLY NOW: http://tinyurl.com/hyb9y4x