Kern Community College District — American Sign Language Instructor, Temporary 1 Semester
Filed in Faculty on September 23, 2016
Position Number: 01798
Posting Date: 09/14/2016
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Temporary Academic
Work Week: Temporary 1 Semester
- Sick leave only.
- This position is not eligible for health benefits.
College/Site: Porterville College
Location: PC-Main Campus
The successful applicant will be expected to provide instruction in a full range of ASL courses including language courses, Deaf Culture, and Performance and Literature, depending on experience, background, and institutional need.
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning and using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; collegial participation in departmental, college, and discipline-specific professional activities.
Education and Experience:
Possession of a valid credential, which authorizes the full-time teaching of ASL at the California community college level;
OR – Master’s in American Sign Language, Deaf Studies, or Communicative Disorders, or related discipline;
OR – Bachelor’s in American Sign Language, Deaf Studies, or Communicative Disorders, or related discipline, and two years of teaching experience;
OR – Associate’s in American Sign Language or Deaf Studies, and six years of teaching experience;
OR – The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an applicant for equivalence form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
AND – A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate that they are broadly prepared and have a depth of knowledge in the discipline. In addition, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge and abilities:
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes innovation, teaching, learning and service to diverse student population;
- Ability to effectively work with students with a wide range of skills, motivations, academic and vocational goals;
- Ability to participate in the development of curriculum, including curriculum delivered via new modalities;
- Ability to participate in recruitment and articulation activities with local school, colleges and universities;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain subject matter currency;
- Ability to assess student learning outcomes;
- Knowledge of computers and willingness to explore new technologies that would benefit program;
- Knowledge of and commitment to the California community college mission.
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at http://apptrkr.com/882951. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.