College of Staten Island (CUNY) — Academic ASAP Career & Employment Specialist
Filed in Professional on September 28, 2016
Job ID: 15581
The ASAP Career Employment Specialist (CES) at CSI serves as a resource to ASAP students and their student advisors in regard to development of professional skills and internship opportunities. In conjunction with the Center for Career and Professional Development, CES coordinates career-focused events and activities, such as career/industry panels and networking opportunities through partnership with student clubs/organizations, community partners, faculty and college administrators. In partnership with ASAP student advisors, CES monitors student progress toward ASAP career and professional development benchmarks. In addition to serving as a key liaison for career/professional development and internship at the College, CES represents CSI at ASAP Career and Employment Specialist meetings at the CUNY Central Office for ASAP.
Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in an appropriate discipline and four years related experience. The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working in the field of career development, ideally in college settings.
- Significant knowledge of local employment resources and ability to match students’ needs and skills to appropriate employment.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Strong organization, project management and facilitation skills.
- Ability to enter, monitor and interpret student data accurately.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office required) and aptitude to learn new systems.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Reporting to the ASAP Director, the ASAP Career and Employment Specialist will perform the following duties.
- Conducts career development activities for full ASAP program including, but not limited to: career assessments, job readiness workshops, resume and cover letter preparation, interview techniques, job skills, and organizes industry panels and guest speakers
- Provides one-one-one job search counseling to students seeking employment and makes appropriate referrals to ensure students may work while maintaining a full-time course schedule
- Develops and maintains relationships with employers that can lead to recruitment and hiring
- Creates and maintains an extensive database of employer, service learning, and internship opportunities
- Tracks and reviews student contacts on monthly basis, maintains accurate career development files for each ASAP student, and recommends appropriate actions plans to promote and ensure student success
- Promotes ASAP student participation in college or CUNY-wide career activities (ie: Big Apple Career Fair and the CUNY Service Corps)
- Assists with ASAP recruitment efforts
- Collaborates with ASAP advisors to regularly assess students¿ career needs
- Reviews student tracking and outcomes data as member of ASAP team
- Performs related duties as assigned by the ASAP Director.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$42,873 – $55,782
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please go to www.cuny.edu; select “Employment”, “Search Job Listings,” “More Options to Search for CUNY Jobs,” then enter the Job ID# in the “Job Opening ID” field. Cover letter, resume, 3 letters of recommendation (if available) and any additional supporting documents for candidacy must be submitted as one file.
October 26, 2016