Alfred University — Director of Financial Aid
Filed in Administrative on September 17, 2016
Alfred University seeks a dynamic, highly motivated, innovative, and experienced leader to serve as Director of Financial Aid. The Director manages a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate/professional aid program, and oversees a staff of seven full time professionals. Reporting directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Interim Vice President of Enrollment Management, the Director serves an important role in shaping and promoting financial aid policies that assist the University in achieving its enrollment goals.
The Director is expected to be the University’s expert on financial policies and regulations at the institutional, state and federal levels. Additionally, the incumbent will be able to highlight critical data and develop effective messages that articulate the University’s successes, challenges and limitations in the awarding of available financial aid resources. Alfred University is unique in that they have several different tuition structures due to their relationship with the State University of New York, through the College of Ceramics as well as extension, degree completion, offsite, and graduate programs. Therefore, the Director will need an understanding of the complexities of a varying tuition structure.
Responsibilities and Priorities
- Provide leadership and oversight for the entire financial aid staff, including direct supervision of associate directors, assistant directors, counselors and support staff.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Enrollment Management on the development of financial aid policy and packaging guidelines that make the most of the University’s resources in order to achieve enrollment goals.
- Provide research and analysis on financial aid applicants and recipients, including the impact awards have on enrollment and retention patterns.
- Review aid applications, make appropriate corrections, package aid, and counsel students and parents. Make decisions related to complex applications and unique circumstances requiring experienced, professional judgment related to federal, state and University regulations and guidelines.
- Monitor compliance with University, state and federal Title IV aid programs. Provide reports on a regular basis and as needed.
- Ensure that customer service is a high office priority and that staff provide outstanding service by responding to questions and concerns politely, quickly, and accurately.
- Build on collaborative efforts with key campus partners including Admissions, Bursar/Student Accounts, Business and Finance, Graduate/Professional Schools, International Programs, Registrar, and University Relations.
- Work closely with operations staff to improve mission efficiency through operational streamlining, technological improvements and system update.
- Oversee the operational budget for the office.
- Take an active role on campus and in external professional organizations. Be a visible and engaged leader and an authority in the field.
- Provide timely, contemporary financial aid communications for use on the University website and in promotional materials.
Qualifications, Experience, and Personal Qualities
- A Bachelor’s degree with substantive and progressively responsible experience working in financial aid administration
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to oversee, motivate, and direct a team of financial aid specialists, counselors and support staff with a proven track record of exemplary leadership through innovation and student customer service.
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state, and institutional financial aid regulations, with the ability to administer a complex, dynamic student financial aid program serving both undergraduate and graduate/professional students. This would include, in part, Pell Grants, verification, Satisfactory Academic Progress, gainful employment reporting, and regulations not related to the awarding of aid.
- Extensive knowledge of financial aid administration with the ability to review applications and make awards.
- High level of analytical skills in order to provide strategic projections regarding budgets, enrollments, and the strategic use of financial aid. Need to analyze data and provide appropriate college management reports.
- Ensure compliance with federal Title IV and New York State aid programs.
- Complete understanding of the function of federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs as they relate to effective management and awarding of funds in a manner that meets program regulations and enrollment objectives.
- Demonstrated expertise in policy and procedure development with the ability to think creatively and strategically in order to recommend improvements.
- Proficiency in a variety of software applications to include Microsoft Office, student enrollment and financial aid systems. This includes integrated systems such as Banner.
- High level of cultural sensitivity and strong interest in working with a diverse population.
- Strong organizational skills, an attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced and goal-oriented environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A demonstrated self-starter who can work effectively both as a team member of Enrollment Management and independently. Must be collaborative, conscientious, results-oriented, and possess a sense of humor.
- An advanced degree in a related field
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the Banner financial aid module or a similar enterprise resource planning system specific to financial aid.
- Experience with an aid office that administers undergraduate, graduate, extension and professional financial aid programs.
- Experience in a selective private university setting.
Applications are due by October 21, 2016. While the position will remain open until filled, please apply by that date. For full consideration, candidates should e-mail, as Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments the following: (1) a letter of interest that addresses the position responsibilities and qualifications listed above; (2) a current curriculum vitae; and (3) the contact information for three professional references addressed to AlfredUDirectorFinAid@rhperry.com
Select the following link to review the executive search http://apptrkr.com/876943. For further information, please contact:
Mr. Thomas K. DaRin, Senior Consultant
R. H. Perry & Associates
Mr. Paul G. Doeg, President and Chief Operating Officer
R. H. Perry & Associates
R. H. Perry & Associates
206 E. Chestnut Street
Asheville, NC 28801