Alabama A&M University — Associate Vice President for Faculty, Programs and Undergraduate Studies
Filed in Administrative on September 21, 2016
The Associate Vice President, Faculty and Programs and Undergraduate Studies reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research and is responsible for providing overall administrative leadership to the University’s undergraduate academic programs. The Associate Vice President monitors, develops and implements policies, procedures and practices designed to ensure the effective delivery of academic programs at the baccalaureate level. Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Faculty and Programs and Undergraduate Studies are the Director of the Freshman Academy, Director of the Honors Program, Director of the Quality Enhancement Plan, and Director of TRIO Programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the development, implementation and dissemination of all policies and regulations related to undergraduate studies (i.e., Undergraduate Bulletin, the undergraduate portion of the Academic Policies and Procedures Manual, Academic Calendar, etc.).
- Ensures the ongoing and regular review, assessment, and evaluation by academic colleges and departments of all baccalaureate degree programs as a part of the University’s institutional effectiveness system.
- Resolves and/or coordinates the resolution of all undergraduate student problems, grievances, and academic appeals with the appropriate university unit or committee.
- Chairs the University’s ceremonials committee, which is responsible for developing programs for and producing all ceremonial events at the University (e.g., spring and winter commencement ceremonies, Founder’s Day, Freshman Convocation, Honors Day, etc.).
- Chairs the Faculty/Staff conference committee.
- Periodically convenes the General Education Committee to discuss the content of general education courses, any proposals for addition to the list of acceptable general education courses, and ensures that student knowledge of general education concepts is assessed annually.
- Serves as a member (or alternate) on the Alabama Articulation General Studies Committee/Statewide Transfer and Articulation Reporting System (AGSC/STARS) committee.
- Serves as liaison with the Division of Student Affairs, Deans and Chairs, Accounts Payable, etc. to ensure that all aspects of the student enrollment process are efficiently implemented (as a member of the University’s registration committee).
- Represents the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research as requested and carries out other assignments as requested.
- Represents the Division of Academic Affairs with units external to the University and on internal committees/task forces related to all matters pertaining to undergraduate studies.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements (including certifications, licenses, etc.):
- A terminal degree from an accredited university in an appropriate discipline along with a minimum of seven (7) years in an administrative position at the level of chair, associate dean, or dean.
- A record of effective teaching appropriate for appointment at least at the associate professor rank
- Demonstrated success in an academic administrative leadership position at the departmental or school level.
- A comprehensive knowledge of university policies and procedures relating to the development and implementation of academic programs is required, as well as prior management of educational support programs.
- The ability to effectively supervise others, to think creatively in resolving problems and proposing changes along with demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication is a must.
- Persons having held a tenured faculty position are preferred.
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Closed
Alabama A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Alabama A&M University encourages applications for employment from persons who are members of groups that have been underrepresented based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability.