University of Alabama — Director, School of Library & Information Studies
Filed in Administrative on August 26, 2016
The Director will provide vision and leadership in support of excellence in the School’s teaching, research, and service missions. They will effectively represent SLIS within the College of Communication and Information Sciences and communicate with the School’s internal and external constituents. The Director will actively foster an environment of collegiality, collaboration, and faculty governance.
The Director is responsible for academic and administrative vision and leadership; fiscal and personnel management; oversight of curricular planning, implementation, and evaluation; and advancement of the School’s research mission. The Director plays an active role in working with the faculty to shape the academic future of the School. The Director works closely within the College, represents the School to the broader academic and professional community, plays a central role in maintaining active and positive relationships with alumni, and works closely with the Dean and the College’s Director of Development to guide the School’s fundraising and development activities. As a faculty member, the Director is responsible for teaching, research, and service to the profession as well as to the School, College, and University.
Essential qualifications include evidence of:
- Creative, thoughtful, and inclusive leadership abilities
- A research and teaching record appropriate to appointment at the rank of professor
- Ability to recruit, support, and mentor faculty and staff
- Commitment to academic excellence
- Ability to effectively advocate for and represent the School within the College and University, to prospective and current students, to alumni, and to external organizations, agencies, and other constituents
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- An earned doctorate in library and information studies or an allied discipline.
Compensation is competitive and is accompanied by a generous benefits package. To apply, please visit https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/. We ask that applicants use the “Create an Account” option rather than the “Vitae” or “LinkedIn” options. This position closes February 2017.
An Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer, The University of Alabama is strongly committed to diversity, and we value candidates who bring a variety of backgrounds and experiences to our community. The University welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.