University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Residence Hall Director
Filed in Administrative on July 21, 2016
- Maintain personal contact with residents through daily social interaction, maintenance of office hours and attendance at hall meetings and functions.
- Serve as a role model, resource person and support agent for students and staff.
- Encourage the active participation of residents in hall governance.
- Facilitate the development of hall programs and activities based on the departmental Community Living Model.
- Maintain a secure and satisfying physical environment.
- Communicate, clarify and enforce university, departmental and hall policies.
- Encourage student to assume responsibility for decisions affecting their community.
- Participate in the management of student behavior problems in the halls by responding to incidents, meetings with student and pursuing appropriate administrative and judicial action.
- ▪Recruit and select Community Advisors and Senior Community Advisors.
- ▪Plan and implement ongoing training for CA Staff.
- ▪Conduct weekly staff meetings and provide ongoing staff development sessions that serve criticial needs for training and promote opportunities for personal growth and development.
- ▪Oversee the recruitment, selection, training and supervision of desk workers, Area Secretary, and all other in-hall employees.
- ▪In conjunction with the Health Center staff, co-supervise the Health Advocate in their respective buildings.
- ▪Oversee the operation of the Security Station in their hall.
- ▪Coordinate residence hall openings and closings.
- ▪Meet individually on a regular basis with staff to discuss community issues and concerns as well as monitor progress of the staff member.
- ▪Conduct performance evaluations of staff members and other in-hall employees each semester.
- Advise and support the Hall Council and its Executive Board.
- Attend weekly hall government meetings and executive board meetings.
- Support and attend events and activities planned and implemented by the Hall Council.
- Submit administrative reports and forms within set deadlines.
- Maintain regular communications with the Residence Life Central Office (contract and assignments, payroll, purchasing, etc.), Dean of Students Office, University Police, Counseling Center, Custodial Services and Facilities Management.
- Assume campus weekend duty coverage on an equal and rotating basis with other RHDs.
- Maintain accurate occupancy reports and room change paperwork. Submit weekly reports. Maintain accurate rosters within the hall.
- Assist staff in administering the EBI Survey in and efficient and timely manner.
- Analyze and use EBI and MapWorks data to improve the student experience in each hall and support their academic success.
- Participate in orientation, training, professional development sessions and staff meetings as required.
- Assist in hall and department policy formulation and review.
- Perform duties on one of the following special assignment teams: Leadership Development & Diversity Initiatives (LDDI) Team, Student Conduct Team, Special Operations Team, CA Training Team, CA Recruitment and Selection Team. Other teams are created as needed.
- Serve as a member and/or chairperson of an Oshkosh Placement Exchange (OPE) Committee.
- Master’s Degree in Counseling, Higher Education, College Student Personnel or related field
- Demonstrated supervision skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and experience managing people including comfort with diverse people and beliefs
- Previous residence hall experience
- Commitment to the growth and development of students
- Strong writing skills
- Prior problem solving and conflict resolution experience
- Demonstrated ability in advising student groups
- Ability to develop and nurture a positive community living environment within residence halls
- Demonstrated administrative skills
- Knowledge of facilities and building management
- Knowledge of judicial/student conduct processes
August 15, 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter
Competitive based on experience with an average from $31,000 to $32,000. For further information on UW System salary ranges, please visit the following website: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/download/upg/UPG04a2.pdf.
Terms of Appointment
Renewable, annual contract with 1.0 FTE. Up to three positions available.
Review of files will begin August 3, 2016 and continue until position is filled.
How to Apply
Electronically submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for three professional references and transcripts (original for highest degree; copies of all others) to:
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is an Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. UW Oshkosh considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
Employment will require a criminal background check. UW Oshkosh complies with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act with regard to nondiscrimination on the basis of arrest and/or conviction record.
For UW Oshkosh campus safety / security information, see University Police Annual Report, or call the Human Resources Office at 920/424-1166 for a paper copy.