Higher Education Grants of Interest to African-Americans

Here is this week’s news of grants to historically Black colleges and universities or for programs of particular interest to African Americans in higher education.

Robert Morris University in Pennsylvania received a $900,000 grant from the Heinz Endowments to help fund a new research center that will study factors that have produced success among African American men. The Robert Morris University Research Center on Black Male Educational Student Success will be led by Rex Crawley, assistant dean of the School of Communication and Information Systems. He states that the new center will move “away from all the negative statistical indicators and start thinking about focusing on success factors.”

Dr. Crawley holds bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. degrees, all from Ohio University.

North Carolina Central University, the historically Black educational institution in Durham, received a $120,000 grant from the United Negro College Fund and the U.S. Department of Education to fund its Global Entrepreneurship Initiative. The initiative will bring together educational institutions, nonprofits, and small businesses to promote economic growth, and innovation through policy, social entrepreneurship, and business enterprise.

The project will be under the direction of Emmanuel O. Oritsejafor, interim chair of the department of political science at the university.

Emory University received a $2.5 million donation from Mary E. and C. Robert Henrikson to expand the Henrikson Endowed Scholarship Fund at the Emory School of Law. The fund was established a decade ago to increase the diversity of the student body at the law school.

C. Robert Henrikson is a 1972 graduate of Emory School of Law. He went on to become CEO of MetLife.


Leave a Reply

Due to incidents of abuse and harassment that have occurred in the past, JBHE will not publish telephone numbers or email addresses of individuals in this space. If you want to contact someone in a particular article, we suggest you contact them directly not in an open forum.