Tuskegee University in Alabama recently commemorated the 100th anniversary of the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital on its campus. The hospital was dedicated in 1913 and was funded by a gift from the wife of Charles Macon of Boston, who was then serving as a trustee of what was then called the Tuskegee Institute. The hospital was named after Mrs. Macon’s grandfather, John A. Andrew, who had served as governor of Massachusetts.
Speaking at the ceremonies were relatives of Louis Rabb, the first administrator of the hospital, and John A. Kenney who came to Tuskegee in 1902 and served as the personal physician to Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver. Kenney served as chief surgeon at the hospital and director of the nursing school until 1922.
The university invited anyone who was born at the hospital to assemble in front of the building for a group photograph prior to the ceremony.